Twitter Roundup: April 2017
Each month I will take some of the key news items and event headlines I’ve tweeted about and bring them here to the website for archive and quick access. You can follow @nickandmore on Twitter to keep caught up in real time.
- April 1 was not only April Fools Day but was also Nickelodeon’s 38th birthday, Boomerang’s 17th birthday and 15 years since The N went on-air (and Noggin became a full-time preschool network).
- Nickelodeon celebrated April Fools 2017 with various alterations to their on-air bugs. Cartoon Network put “googly eyes” on everyone in their shows and promos. Adult Swim had random laugh tracks and deep voices from midnight to 6am. Nicktoons also aired the French and German theme songs for The Fairly OddParents and Italian and French ones for Sanjay and Craig.
- Adult Swim’s big April Fools stunt was airing the season 3 premiere of Rick and Morty out-of-the-blue eight different times from 8pm to midnight, cutting the 11pm hour of Toonami (including new Samurai Jack and Dragon Ball Super).
- Grace Kaufman tweeted that the final recording session for Clarence had taken place – meaning the end of another Cartoon Network series is coming.
- Pig Goat Banana Cricket was announced to return with new episodes on Wednesday nights at 9pm on Nicktoons, starting April 12.
- After Nicktoons aired three weeks of Power Rangers Jungle Fury, Time Force was to begin airing. It was pulled.
- A second season of LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures was announced to premiere this summer on Disney XD. New shorts will air May 4th.
- Disney XD’s MECH-X4 was announced as their April “show of the month” with premieres airing Monday-Thursdays from April 17 to May 1. This new premiere format has been used each month this year (with Kirby Buckets in January, Star vs. The Forces of Evil in February and Milo Murphy’s Law in March).
- Britney Spears was announced to be presented with the first Radio Disney Music Awards “Icon Award” on April 29th.
- Boomerang began airing episodes of Wabbit under the new title of New Looney Tunes.
- Netflix ordered live-action teen sitcom Alexa & Katie for 13 episodes. The multi-cam sitcom will star Paris Berelc (Mighty Med, Lab Rats: Elite Force) and Isabel May.
- Production on the fourth season of Henry Danger started the first week of April.
- April 11 saw the launch of the new premium Boomerang service at Boomerang.com. HD masters of shows produced in HD were present and non-HD shows were presented in their original format (not stretched or chopped) and with clear picture.
- On April 10 or 11, Disney Channel reduced their on-air bug size.
- Discovery Family launched a soft rebrand of their on-air bumpers and promos.
- Season four of Star Wars Rebels will be its last.
- Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon was finally announced to premiere on Disney XD on May 13. It will air 8 days of premieres before airing weekly on Saturday mornings at 9am.
- A new Carmen Sandiego animated series is coming to Netflix in 2019, starring the voice of Gina Rodriguez.
- The French animated series Pat The Dog (based on a mobile game) will premiere Saturday, June 3 at 10:30am on Disney Channel.
- Life-Size 2, originally announced to be a Disney Channel Original Movie, will now be a Freeform original and will premiere in December 2018.
- Cartoon Network moved premieres of The Powerpuff Girls to Sundays starting April 30. It was originally to be at 8:00am but was changed to 5:30pm at the last minute.
- Young Justice‘s third season and the new live-action Titans series will both premiere in 2018 on a to-be-announced DC Comics-branded premium streaming service.
- Nickelodeon renewed Hunter Street for a second season of 20 episodes. Production begins this summer in Amsterdam.
- The Hotel Transylvania animated TV series was announced to premiere this June on Disney Channel.