Cartoon Network Upfront 2014
via Cartoon Network press release:
Cartoon Network Evolves with Kids: “Always On”
New Platform-Specific Original Programming Developed for 2014-2015 to Include Linear and Digital Content Comprised of Series, Specials, Shorts, Interstitials, Games, Apps and more
Announces Its First-Ever Animated Mini-Series OVER THE GARDEN WALL, Plus Multiple New & Returning Original Series
Digital Innovations Include Fast-Paced Micro-Network “CARTOON NETWORK ANYTHING”
Resuming its successful strategy launched last year of taking its road-show presentation directly to clients and promotional partners, Cartoon Network enters the Upfront Season by introducing its newest evolution in reaching kids whenever they want and wherever they are with an expanded portfolio of exclusive content designed for specific platforms that kids access today. Whether via television, smartphones, computers, tablets or other gaming devices, Cartoon Network will be “Always On” with customized new original and/or acquired programming and digital offerings designed to meet viewer demand any time of the day. To Cartoon Network, “Network” means a portfolio of different experiences across a network of devices for a network of fans. In February, Turner Broadcasting announced that Cartoon Network’s on-air hours will change to 6 a.m. – 8 p.m. starting March 31.
New Original and Acquired Programming:
• Over The Garden Wall: Headlined by an all-star voice-cast that includes Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings Trilogy), Collin Dean (The War at Home) and Melanie Lynskey (Two and a Half Men), Over the Garden Wall is Cartoon Network’s first event mini-series, an animated comedy/fantasy story about two brothers, Wirt and Greg, who are trapped in a mysterious world. In this ten-part mini-series, Wirt and Greg must travel across this strange land until they find their way home, aided by a wise old Woodsman who gives them directions and a bluebird named Beatrice. Music plays an important role in the series with a soundtrack full of Americana-influenced original songs. Over The Garden Wall is created by Pat McHale and produced by Cartoon Network Studios.
• Clarence: From creator Skyler Page and premiering Monday, April 14 at 7 p.m., Clarence is a new, original animated series about an optimistic boy who wants to do everything. Because everything is amazing! Clarence was conceived as part of the prolific shorts development program at Cartoon Network Studios, which has resulted in six original series for the network: Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa, Steven Universe, Clarence, Over the Garden Wall and We Bare Bears .
• We Bare Bears: We Bare Bears is a comedy about three bear siblings, named Grizzly, Panda and Ice Bear. Each episode follows their awkward attempts at assimilating into human society, whether they’re looking for food, trying to make human friends, or scheming to become internet famous. Whatever the situation, it’s obvious that being a bear in the civilized, modern world is tough—but at least they have each other. Created by Annie Award-winner Daniel Chong (Toy Story of Terror!), We Bare Bears is produced by Cartoon Network Studios.
• The Tom and Jerry Show: The iconic cat and mouse rivals are back in The Tom and Jerry Show, a new, fresh take on the classic series. Preserving the look, characters and sensibility of the original, the all-new series shines a brightly colored, high-definition lens on the madcap slapstick and never-ending battle that has made Tom and Jerry two of the most beloved characters of all time. The Tom and Jerry Show is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and will premiere Wednesday, April 9 at 5:30 p.m.
• Be Cool Scooby-Doo!: Be Cool Scooby-Doo! is an all-new 22-minute animated comedy series from Warner Bros. Animation. The Scooby gang is back with a modern comedic twist on the beloved classic. With high school over and one last summer to live it up, the gang hits the road in the Mystery Machine, chasing fun and adventure. But monsters and mayhem keep getting in the way.
• Wabbit—A Looney Tunes Production: The hilarious, heroic and mischievous Bugs Bunny you love is back! From Warner Bros. Animation, Bugs stars in an all-new series consisting of comedic shorts that find the iconic carrot-loving rabbit matching wits against (and getting the best of) classic characters like Yosemite Sam and Wile E. Coyote. Along the way, Bugs will encounter brand-new foes…and he’ll have some help from new friends like Bigfoot and Squeaks the squirrel.
• LEGO® NINJAGO: Masters of Spinjitzu:Continuing its robust partnership with The LEGO Group, Cartoon Network will re-introduce viewers to the awesome world of NINJAGO: Masters of Spinjitzu with six new half-hour animated specials in 2014, followed by all-new episodes of the highly popular series slated for 2015.
• Sonic Boom™: Sonic the Hedgehog has been one of the world’s biggest gaming icons for over 20 years and this year a new branch of the Sonic universe debuts, entitled Sonic Boom™. With a new look for Sonic and friends, the franchise’s first-ever CG animated television series, an action-packed comedy adventure, will premiere on Cartoon Network with support from an extensive video game release of the same name. The Sonic Boom television series, coproduced by SEGA® of America, Inc. and OuiDO! Productions, will debut on Cartoon Network in the 2014/2015 season.
• Total Drama: Pahkitew Island: All-new island! All-new cast! Same old disregard for human safety! The Total Drama series returns as Chris and Chef put the newest generation of contestants through the craziest challenges yet—all for a chance to win one million dollars! Total Drama Island is produced by Fresh TV Inc.
• Numb Chucks: Woodchuck brothers Dilweed and Fungus didn’t always see themselves as mystical Kung Fu saviors until they stumbled upon an infomercial featuring mega legend Woodchuck Morris’ mullet-fueled motivational kung-fu video “The Way of the Chuck!” With an endless supply of confidence but a limited supply of brain cells, and countless hours of watching the video, this dimwitted duo transmorph-ified into THE NUMB CHUCKS!
• Beyraiderz: Sho, Jin and Leon find themselves trapped on a strange world once defended by the Six Mythic Beasts who upheld justice and brought prosperity for all through the battling BeyRaiderz tournaments. When the Beasts mysteriously disappeared, the world fell into ruin, and now it’s up to Sho and his friends to uncover the hidden BeyRaiderz stadiums, to battle to bring the Beasts back and restore prosperity to the world!
Original “Always On” Programming for Cartoon Network Multiple Digital Platforms:
• Angelo Rules (Season 2): For a kid, life can be a daily battle. There are adults, siblings, teachers and rivals telling them what to do, what not to do, what to say… Well, it’s time for kids to take control and Angelo’s here to show the way! He observes and then comes up with elaborate strategies to wheedle, sweet-talk, con, and work around any adversary. Season two of this new series comes from TeamTo and Cake Entertainment.
• Detentionaire: Framed for a major prank and punished with a full year of detention, high schooler Lee Ping sneaks out of detention to try to expose who was really behind the prank and avoid being caught by the school’s principal Barrage. After clearing his name, Lee again attempts to sneak out of Barrage’s upgraded detention room, discovering that a strange pyramid under the school has something to do with Lee’s key, the parents council and the blue tazwurms. There is more to the school than meets the eye! Created by animators Daniel Bryan Franklin & Charles Johnston, Detentionaire is distributed by Nelvana.
• Rocket Jo: Rocket Jo is an inventor-adventurer: his unique goal is to get his jet-pack to function and send him flying in the air for good…without effect. But his valiant attempts are always a false dawn to viewers’ great delight, as there always are failures, gags, explosions, falls, etc. Produced by Millimages and 2D3D, Rocket Jo works hard, drawing upon all his imagination, to make viewers laugh, both children and parents.
• Adventure Time
• The Amazing World of Gumball
• Ben 10 Omniverse
• Johnny Test
• Legends of Chima
• Pokémon the Series: XY
• Regular Show
• Steven Universe
• Teen Titans GO!
• Tenkai Knights
• Uncle Grandpa
CARTOON NETWORK ANYTHING
Later this year, Cartoon Network will introduce a unique user experience to the mobile marketplace when it launches a new digital initiative called Cartoon Network Anything. A fast-paced micro-network, Cartoon Network Anything will serve an ever-growing stream of fun and funny content to mobile phones and other small-screen mobile devices. Users will enjoy games, activities, trivia and clips, each lasting an average of 10 to 15 seconds. These diverse pieces of content will be randomized, and fans can move to the next piece by simply swiping their screens, resulting in entertainment that feels both immediate and infinite.
In addition to bringing a first-of-its-kind mobile offering to fans, Cartoon Network Anything will also provide unique sponsorship opportunities for Cartoon Network’s business partners. A perfect platform for native advertising, Cartoon Network Anything invites innovative advertising and sponsored content that suits the medium and that will feel organic to the overall micro-network.
ABOUT CARTOON NETWORK
Cartoon Network (CartoonNetwork.com) is regularly the #1 U.S. television network among boys 6-11. Currently seen in 98 million U.S. homes and 194 countries around the world, Cartoon Network is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.’s ad-supported cable service now available in HD offering the best in original, acquired and classic entertainment for kids and families. In addition to Emmy-winning original programming and industry-leading digital apps and online games, Cartoon Network embraces key social issues affecting families with solution-oriented initiatives such as Stop Bullying: Speak Up and the Move It Movement. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.